Planning & Zoning Regulations & Applications: Goshen, Connecticut (CT)

The purpose of the Planning & Zoning Commission is to guide the growth and development of the Town of Goshen so as to promote beneficial and convenient relationships among residential, commercial, industrial and public areas within the town in accordance with Section 8 of the Connecticut General Statutes and the Town of Goshen Planning & Zoning Regulations. Planning & Zoning is responsible for the issuance of permits related to commercial projects as well as additions or accessory structures.

The function of the Town of Goshen Planning & Zoning Commission includes but is not limited to: adopt, amend and administer the Subdivision Regulations, deciding upon applications for approval of subdivision or resubdivision plans; to adopt and amend the Towns Plan of Conservation and Development, to review and make recommendations on all proposed municipal improvements.

Permits are typically required for: new buildings, structures and accessory structures, home occupations, signs, tennis and other sports courts, swimming pools, fences, patios, decks, remodeling that will change a buildings use, proposed uses of existing and proposed buildings and properties, such as commercial uses.

Below please find various application forms and the actual Town of Goshen Zoning Regulations. If you have any questions relative to whether your proposed activity requires a zoning permit, please do not hesitate to contact us at (860) 354-9346 so that we may assist you. We also offer full service land use permitting where we handle the entire permitting process from beginning to end.

Goshen Zoning Regulations
Adopted in August 29, 1988, last revised January 31, 2009, the Town of Goshen Zoning Regulations should be consulted prior to performing any activity that requires a zoning permit. The Zoning Regulations exist to provide for the orderly and responsible growth of the Town from a residential, commercial and industrial perspective.

Goshen Zoning Map
Open this map to determine what zone the property you are interested is in. The zone of the property impacts how close you can have a structure to your property line, how big a structure can be on your property and what uses are allowed for the particular zone (i.e. – commercial or residential.)

Goshen How to Obtain Permit for New House, Addition, Pool or Accessory Structure
This document provides a summary of the approval process to get your permit for a new house, addition, pool or accessory structure.

Goshen Zoning Permit Application
This application must be filled out for someone who is proposing an activity which requires a zoning permit such as a house or addition in the Town of Goshen. This application requires a survey and civil engineering services which we will be happy to provide for you.

Goshen Site Plan / Special Permit / Zone Change Application
This application must be filled out for someone who is performing an activity such as earthwork or a use which requires a site plan, special permit or zone change. A site plan, special permit or zone change application typically requires a survey and civil engineering services which can be performed in house by our staff for you.

Goshen Environmental Compliance Certification
This is the environmental compliance certification form which ensures you are compliant with respect to the various environmental standards.

Goshen Subdivision Regulations
Adopted December 1, 1969, last revised February 2007, the Town of Goshen Subdivision Regulations should be consulted prior to considering a subdivision or resubdivision. The Regulations spell out the requirements relative to splitting your land into multiple building lots.

Goshen Subdivision Application Form
This is the application form that must be filled out for anyone proposing to subdivide or resubdivide their land. A set of subdivision plans typically consist of a surveysite development planstormwater management plan, and sedimentation and erosion control plan which can all be performed by our office. Please contact us at (860) 354-9346 for more information on how we can help you subdivide your property.

Goshen Plan of Conservation and Development
The Town of Goshen Plan of Conservation and Development , adopted 2006, provides a framework of needs, policies, actions and priorities that will guide community decision makers on land-use management, community facilities development, parks and recreation, open space and environmental conservation, transportation and traffic improvement, utilities services and economic development. At least once every ten years the Commission must prepare or amend, and must adopt a Plan of Conservation and Development.

Goshen Aquifer Protection Regulations
This document are the Regulations as it relates to the Aquifer Protection District.

Connecticut Public Act 05-124
This Act states that an applicant cannot file a permit application other than for interior work in an existing building or for exterior work that does not expand or alter the footprint of an existing building if the subject property is encumbered by a conservation restriction or preservation restriction. Please read the above Act fully to ensure that your permit will not be unnecessarily overturned if it is to be appealed.

If you have any questions regarding the interpretation of a local land use regulation or application or you are interested in working with us on a project, contact us at (860) 354-9346. We look forward to speaking with you!

Back to:
Goshen Building Department Regulations & Application Forms
Goshen Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Regulations & Application Forms:
Goshen Planning & Zoning Regulations & Application Forms:
Goshen Health Department Regulations & Application Forms
Goshen Public Works Regulations & Application Forms
Goshen Board of Selectmen Regulations & Application Forms
Goshen Zoning Board of Appeals Regulations & Application Forms

Please note that you should always contact the Town of Goshen to determine if the Regulations and/or application forms have recently changed.