To give you a better understanding of the federal land use standards and permitting process, Arthur H. Howland & Associates, P.C. would like to share with you our collection of the rules, regulations, and guidelines that are mandated by various federal agencies in the United States. While most land use regulation permitting is handled by state and local land use agencies, there are circumstances when federal agencies are required during a land use project.

Please review the following links to Federal agencies and documentation pertaining to Federal land use rules, regulations, and guidelines provided in the list below:

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Map Service Center
This site contains floodplain mapping for the entire United States.  Utilize this site to quickly determine if your listing may be impacted by any flood zone.  You can make a “Firmette” which will show if you have any concerns of flooding with respect to your site.

United States Army Corps of Engineers
Learn the difference between a Category I and Category II permit and whether or not your proposed activity is under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps.

Web Soil Survey
Provided by the Natural Resource Conservation Service, utilize this tool to quickly determine if wetland soils may potentially exist on a property which may limit the ability of future additions/expansion.  The tool allows you to draw boundaries of your property and make a PDF with the approximate delineation and soil types on the property.

If you have any questions regarding the interpretation of the above Federal regulations or guidelines, or you are interested in working with us on a project, contact us at (860) 354-9346. We look forward to working with you on your next land use project!