Building Department Permit & Applications: Sharon, Connecticut (CT)

The Town of Sharon Building Department is responsible for the issuance of building permits and overseeing the construction of all structures in Town. The Sharon Building Department reviews construction plans for compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code for all residential, commercial and municipal projects and issues necessary permits and monitors the projects while under construction.  They also review architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, alarm, sprinkler plans, and ADA handicapped accessibility. Once a project is complete and satisfactorily constructed the Sharon Building Department will issue a Certificate of Occupancy so that the structure may be legally used for occupancy.

Below please find various application forms for activities which the Town of Sharon Building Department oversees. If you have any questions relative to whether your proposed activity requires a Building Department permit, please do not hesitate to contact us at (860) 354-9346 so that we may assist you. We also offer full service land use permitting where we handle the entire permitting process from beginning to end.

This will be updated soon.

CT DEP Outdoor Wood Furnace Requirements
This document details requirements per the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection for outdoor wood furnaces including but not limited to separation requirements to abutting residences and chimney height requirements.

CT DEP Outdoor Wood Furnace Guidelines
This document provides guidelines from the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection regarding outdoor wood furnaces and their impact on the environment.

Request for Modification of State Building Code
This is the application that must be filled out if you would like to propose an activity or type of construction that deviates from the State of Connecticut Building Code.

Sharon Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide
This document provides 20 pages of instructions and guidance as to how to construct a deck in accordance with the various building codes.

Instructions for Worker’s Compensation Forms That Must be Filled Out
This document provides instructions as to which Worker’s Compensation Forms must be filled out dependent on the situation. Section 31-286b of the Workers’ Compensation Act requires anyone who requests a building permit to first submit “proof of workers’ compensation coverage for all of the employees who are engaged to perform services on the site of the construction project for which the permit was issued.” The only exceptions to this law are the sole proprietor or property owner who will not be acting as general contractor or principal employer.

Worker’s Compensation Form – 7A
The Sole Proprietor or Property Owner who will not act as a general contractor or principal employer is not required to have workers’ compensation coverage. In order to obtain the building permit, a FORM 7A should be completed and given to the building official.

Worker’s Compensation Form – 7B
The Sole Proprietor or Property Owner who act as a general contractor or a principal employer must provide a written certificate of workers’ compensation insurance for all of the employees on their project and must file a FORM 7B with the building official -OR he will sign a sworn notarized affidavit on FORM 7B, stating that he will require proof of workers’ compensation insurance for all those employed on the job site.

Worker’s Compensation Form – 7C
The General Contractor or Principal Employer who has properly excluded himself from coverage using the appropriate WCC form must file the FORM 7C with the building official. This form certifies that they have properly excluded themselves, and attests that they will require proof of workers’ compensation insurance from every employee that works on the designated job site.

Connecticut Public Act 05-124
This Act states that an applicant cannot file a permit application other than for interior work in an existing building or for exterior work that does not expand or alter the footprint of an existing building if the subject property is encumbered by a conservation restriction or preservation restriction. Please read the above Act fully to ensure that your permit will not be unnecessarily overturned if it is to be appealed.

If you have any questions regarding the interpretation of a local land use regulation or application or you are interested in working with us on a project, contact us at (860) 354-9346. We look forward to speaking with you!

Back to:
Sharon Building Department Regulations & Application Forms
Sharon Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Regulations & Application Forms:
Sharon Planning & Zoning Regulations & Application Forms:
Sharon Health Department Regulations & Application Forms
Sharon Board of Selectmen Regulations & Application Forms
Sharon Zoning Board of Appeals Regulations & Application Forms
Sharon Historic District Commission Regulations & Application Forms

Please note that you should always contact the Town of Sharon to determine if the Regulations and/or application forms have recently changed.